Submission Guidelines

Saturday 2 February 2013

Brendan McCormack

In Poetry

I slept last night
In a cave of shadows and howls

a bear skinned itself
With his razor claws
To reveal a wolf
Eating its pups,
And their eyes burst
Under jaws,
Wet and blind

Red splashed furred skins
Dragged across the damp stone

Followed me like friends
Kept talking to me

I slept last night

the dark man from the cornered place
held  a gun against my neck
And shot me down

Emptied my flesh
Felt the drift-away come up on me
Like a song as they played the pipes
Slowly

Drifted into realms
Haemorraging

In the hard dark cave
Where shadows shriek
I wake again

rise in slow
Shunting movements

vertebrae slipping
Tightly into place

Bending me skyward

Tonight I watched dublin
Snuffed out under a heavy haze

Her lights jaded

Night is here again

Goya’s demons gather
reason crumbles

castles of sand
meeting the tide

some wind blows me
some tumbling entity

some words drop out of me
Unbidden and unmade

build a flesh and soul
with pick and spade

And house me again
In this poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment